**This isn’t all finished yet, but I’ve been asked to post my progress so far – it also gives chance for feedback!**
This post was started because many schools in Hampshire are looking for ways in which they can remove their VLE and use an alternative. So I thought I would put together a post based on the common tools within a VLE, particularly the one used in Hampshire, and then give some ideas of alternatives. Many of these alternatives will be Google Apps-based or blog-based, but there are also others too.
The main thing to remember is that choosing a variety of tools is going to take more work than buying a VLE with all of the tools built-in. However, the obvious benefit to using other tools will be cost. Many of the tools used will be free but there is the obvious cost of time in setting up some of these tools and configuring them to meet your needs. Over the coming weeks, these pages will get updated to include how-to guides and videos.
The plan is that this post will develop into something I can share with schools if they decide to drop their VLE and are looking for alternatives.
Some common tasks and VLE tools:
- Creating a topic or class webpage
- Providing links to websites related to the topic
- Uploading photos to share learning with a wider audience
- Uploading photos for children to access and use within their work
- Emailing and Messaging
- Discussion Forums
- Storage of work and documents – for ongoing storage, providing files for lessons and setting/receiving homework
If you have any tools that could be added to these pages, please let me know so that I can add them on.